Meet the Expert
Dr. Chetan Anchan
Dr. Chetan Anchan is an expert and well known orthopaedic surgeon and oncologist from Mumbai. He has a vast experience in treating all types of Malignant and Benign, Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, and Skeletal Metastases.
Dr Chetan holds an extensive expertise in managing and treating various bone malignancies.
Dr. Chetan Anchan is an Orthopaedic surgeon from Mumbai, who trained at The K.E.M. Hospital and Seth G.S. Medical College, Mumbai. He did his undergraduate training from The T.N. Medical College, Mumbai.
Following his post-graduation, he trained exclusively for four years, in the management of bone and soft tissue tumors at The Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Mumbai, where he gained extensive experience and skill in the subject. Since the last three years, he is a practicing Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgeon in Mumbai.
He has an experience of more than a thousand surgeries for bone and soft tissue tumors. Besides, he is highly skilled in performing needle biopsy for these tumors which is a simple, reliable, minimally invasive, safe and quick procedure, done through a small 5 mm. incision; which is very helpful in Limb and Joint Preserving Surgery.
His clinical experience can be summarized in the following points:
- Vast experience in the management of all types of Malignant and Benign, Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, and Skeletal Metastases.
- Extensive experience with various limb salvage techniques including the use of a range of mega-prosthesis for total knee replacement, total femur replacement, proximal femur reconstruction, upper end humerus reconstruction, total humerus replacement, total elbow replacement, etc.
- Skilled in biological reconstruction techniques using allograft, vascularized fibula, autograft, local bone transpositions, ECRT, etc. for skeletal reconstruction.
- Salvage of forearm, wrist, hand, leg, ankle and foot in tumor cases.
- Management of shoulder girdle tumors including scapula tumors.
- Management of pelvic tumors involving the entire range of internal hemipelvectomy and external hemipelvectomy surgeries.
- Management of spine and sacral tumors.
- Bone and Joint Preserving Surgeries for benign bone tumors ensuring excellent outcome with maximum preservation/restoration of normal function.
- Very experienced in the management of soft tissue tumors and skin tumors in the extremities, pelvic area, back, chest and abdominal wall.
- Vast experience in the management of skeletal metastases including pathological fractures and spine metastases with/without cord compression.
- Life Member: Bombay Orthopaedic Society.
- Life Member: Indian Orthopaedic Association
Having trained extensively for more than four years in orthopaedic oncology and being a practicing Musculoskeletal tumor surgeon in Mumbai for more than three years, Dr. Anchan has gained vast experience in the management of Bone and Soft tissue tumors.
His experience can be briefly summarized in the following points:
- He has been involved in more than one thousand surgeries for bone and soft tissue tumors. He has also been directly involved in the work-up, surgical planning and post-op management of more than two thousand cases of bone and soft tissue tumors covering the entire spectrum of this specialty.
- Gained vast experience in the use of a variety of endo-prosthesis (both indigenous and imported) for the various bones and joints. He is experienced with the use of a range of endo-prosthesis, including the indigenous RESTOR joints (Sushrut Surgicals), HMRS joint (Howmedica), GMRS joint (Howmedica), GMRS expandable joint (Howmedica), etc. He is also experienced in the use of mega-prosthesis for upper end femur, upper end humerus and elbow joint reconstructions.
- Total femur replacement and total humerus replacement surgeries.
- Intercalary resections of long bones and reconstruction using various options like intercalary allograft, intercalary prosthesis, vascularized fibula, vascularized fibula with allograft, ECRT (Extra-Corporeal Radiotherapy) of the diseased bone and re-implantation, tibialization of fibula for tibial defects and nail cement spacer.
- Extra-articular resection of joints like knee, hip, shoulder, etc., with appropriate reconstruction.
- Arthrodesis of the hip, knee, ankle, wrist, etc. for a variety of tumors using a variety of options, including autograft, allograft and local bone transfers like the ulna for lower end radius resections and the fibula for lower end tibia resections.
- Experienced in a range of surgeries for tumors of the pelvic bones, including the entire range of internal hemipelvectomies (with a variety of reconstruction options like arthrodesis, mega-prosthesis etc.) and external hemipelvectomy.
- Experienced in management of sacral tumors and spine tumors.
- Variety of surgeries for a whole range of benign bone tumors.
- Management of GCT of bone in a variety of locations using a range of reconstruction materials like autograft, strut allograft, cancellous allograft, bone cement or implant.
- Rotationplasty for lower end femur and upper end tibia tumors. He is also familiar with hip rotationplasty for upper end femur tumors.
- Soft tissue tumors of various sizes in various locations, including primary tumors, recurrent tumors, residual tumors and scar revisions.
- Limb salvage surgery in complex bone and soft tissue tumors involving major vessels, extensive skin involvement, etc.
- Skin tumors including large fungating and ulcerating lesions.
- Performed more than two thousand per-cutaneous needle biopsies for diseases involving every possible location in the musculoskeletal system. He has also performed a large number of CT guided biopsies for lesions in difficult regions such as the spine, pelvis, etc.
- Vast experience in the management of skeletal metastases including spine metastases.
- Performed more than three thousand per-cutaneous needle biopsies for diseases involving every possible location in the musculoskeletal system. He has also performed a large number of CT guided biopsies for lesions in difficult regions such as the spine, pelvis, etc.
- Puri A, Shingade VU, Agarwal MG, Anchan C, Juvekar S, Desai S, Jambhekar NA. CT-guided percutaneous core needle biopsy in deep seated musculoskeletal lesions: a prospective study of 128 cases. Skeletal Radiol. 2006 Mar;35(3):138-43. (PMID: 16391943)
- Agarwal M, Anchan C, Shah M, Puri A, Pai S. Limb salvage surgery for osteosarcoma: effective low-cost treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Jun;459:82-91. (PMID: 17417098)
- Agarwal M, Puri A, Anchan C, Shah M, Jambhekar N. Hemicortical excision for low-grade selected surface sarcomas of bone. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Jun;459:161-6. (PMID: 17415008)
- Agarwal M, Puri A, Anchan C, Shah M, Jambhekar N. Rotationplasty for bone tumors: is there still a role? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Jun;459:76-81. (PMID: 17414168)
- Puri A, Anchan C, Jambhekar NA, Agarwal MG, Badwe RA. Recurrent gossypiboma in the thigh. Skeletal Radiol. 2007 Jun;36 Suppl 1:95-100.(PMID: 17091309)
- Panchwagh Yogesh, Puri Ajay, Agarwal Manish, Anchan Chetan, Shah Mandip. Giant cell tumor – distal end radius: Do we know the answer? Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 2007 Apr-Jun. Vol:41 Issue:2 Page No:139-145
- Puri A, Agarwal MG, Shah M, Jambhekar NA, Anchan C, Behle S. Giant cell tumor of bone in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Orthop. 2007 Sep;27(6):635-9. (PMID: 17717462)
- Khapake DP, Jambhekar NA, Anchan C, Madur BP, Chinoy RF, Agarwal M, Puri A. Epithelioid sarcoma of the foot with subsequent lesion in hand: metastatic lesion or second primary? Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2007 Jul;50(3):563-5. (PMID: 17883136)
- Chetan Anchan, Manish Agarwal. Abstract. Diagnostic Dilemma – Failures of a Needle Biopsy. The Journal of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Vol.78, No.6, 2004 June. S596. I-4-IS-30. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Musculoskeletal Tumor Meeting of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association.
- Agarwal Manish G, Ajay P, Jambhekar N, Anchan C, Panchwagh Y, Pai S. Review article. Limb Salvage for Malignant Primary Bone Tumors: Current status with a review of literature. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases. 2004 Dec. Vol: 20. Page No: 9-25.
- Anchan C. Commentary Giant cell tumor of bone with secondary aneurysmal bone cyst. Int J Shoulder Surg 2008;2:68 (PMID: 20300319)
Author: Co-author on the topic of ‘Chondrosarcoma’ in the “Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma”, 2nd Edition; published in 2008 under the aegis of The Indian Orthopaedic Association. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. Editor: G.S.Kulkarni. Vol.2, Sec.14 Page No:1061-1070.
- Metastatic Spinal Disease – Is Surgery Indicated” at the 48th Annual Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference (IOACON) in Chennai, India, in 2003.
- “The use of allografts in Reconstruction of Defects – The Tata Memorial Experience” at the 49th Annual Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference (IOACON) in Agra, India, in 2004.
- “The Tata Memorial Hospital Experience in this new Millennium; Limb Salvage for Osteosarcoma – Current Status” at the 21st Annual Maharashtra Orthopaedic Association Conference (MOACON) in Kolhapur, India, in 2004.
- “Rotationplasty – A Surgical option in lower limb bone tumors” at the 50th Annual Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference (IOACON) in Mumbai, India, in 2005.
“Diagnostic Dilemma – Failures of a Needle Biopsy” at the 37th Annual Musculoskeletal Meeting of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association in Tokyo, Japan, in 2004.
Prof. S.S. Yadav Best Paper Award in the Oncology session for the paper ” The use of allografts in Reconstruction of Defects – The Tata Memorial Experience” at the 49th Annual Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference (IOACON) in Agra in 2004.
Participated as a speaker in the following programmes :
- Orthopaedic Oncology CME on Malignant Bone Tumors, 28th April 2007, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai – Topic – Surgical steps of TKR for tumors around the knee
- Orthopaedic Oncology CME on Bone Tumors – 20th March 2009, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai – Topic – Biopsy of bone tumors
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society’s Annual Pediatric Orthopaedic Course – October 2009 – Topic – Pediatric Malignant Bone Tumors – Approach to Osteosarcoma & Ewing Sarcoma
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society “Master Cares and Master Shares” programme on “Metastatic Bone Disease” on 3rd January 2010 at KEM hospital, Parel, Mumbai – Topic – Principles of Biopsy
- Bombay Hospital CME on 19th February 2010 on Recent Advances in Orthopaedic and Spine Surgery – Topic – Advances in Musculoskeletal Oncology
- Western India Regional Orthopaedic Conference (WIROC) 2009, Hotel Grand Hyatt, Mumbai. Pre-conference workshop – Knee conclave. Topic – Giant Cell Tumor of Bone around the knee.
- Western India Regional Orthopaedic Conference (WIROC) 2010. Pre-conference workshop at P.D. Hinduja Hospital – Benign Bone Tumors: A closer look.
- Regular lectures and clinics for post-graduate students of orthopaedics from all the teaching hospitals of Mumbai at Bombay Hospital on Musculoskeletal Oncology under the Bombay Orthopaedic Society Post-Graduate teaching programme.
- Lectures on bone tumors for under-graduate medical students undergoing clinical postings at Bombay Hospital.
Fellowship in Orthopaedic Oncology at the Cancer Institute Hospital, Tokyo, Japan in 2004 under Prof. Noriyoshi Kawaguchi, Head, Orthopaedic Oncology.
Why choose us?
More than a thousand surgeries
Dr Chetan has performed over thousand surgeries in 18 years of his career.
He is highly skilled in needle biopsy that is joint and limb persevering surgeries.
World Class Treatment
Dr Chetan provides the best management and treatment of various bone tumors.
Best Orthopedic Oncologist
With vast experience and knowledge, Dr. Chetan provides personalized cancer care.
Our area of expertise lies in the following areas
Feedbacks that keep us moving!
From my experience, he is the best Onco-orthopedic with Full of experience and well behavior.
Best Orthopaedic Surgeon in Mumbai for me. He has the ability to heal with less medicine and more of a morale boost. Very good behavior with a polite smile.
Exclusive Educational Blogs
Informative blogs on Orthopedic Cancers.
Recent Youtube VideosMajor Queries Related To The Orthopaedics
15 March 2022, MondayWhich Cancer Can Spread in the Bone?Overview:Bone cancer may start in any bone in the body, but the pelvis and long bones in the arms and legs are most affected. Bone cancer is very uncommon, accounting for less than 1% of all cancers. In...
01 March 2022, MondaySpinal Cancer: Types, Symptoms and Diagnosis Overview:Spinal cancer is a rare condition that affects about 1 in 140 men and 1 in 180 women. Abnormal development in the cells within the spinal cord itself or from its surrounding structures,...